Friends of the High Line seeks a creative and innovative manager to join the High Line Art (HLA) team as our Communications Manager.
Owned by the City of New York, the High Line is a public park maintained, operated, and programmed by Friends of the High Line, in partnership with the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, to shape and implement an innovative and strategic cultural, public, and community engagement vision and program that advances the High Line’s mission and helps drive the organization to new levels of creativity, visibility, interaction, and impact. With a visitorship of nearly 8 million people annually, the High Line is an essential public space for the residents of New York as well as a community asset and partner for our neighborhood.
High Line Art commissions and produces public art projects that take place on and around the High Line. Founded in 2009, High Line Art has been showcasing a wide array of artworks including site-specific commissions, exhibitions, performances, video programs and a series of billboard interventions. High Line Art invites artists to think of creative ways to engage with the uniqueness of the architecture and design of the High Line and to foster a productive dialogue with the neighborhood and urban landscape.
The High Line Art Communications Manager is responsible for overseeing media relations for High Line Art and developing marketing campaigns to meet organizational goals for the High Line Art program. The Communications Manager will support the Donald R. Mullen, Jr. Director & Chief Curator of High Line Art, and works very closely with the Communications team at Friends of the High Line.
This is a full-time position with additional weekend and evening hours as needed.
- Develop and pitch story ideas; place media listings for High Line Art
- Build High Line Art media list and field media inquiries related to High Line Art
- Cultivate and build relationships with members of the media
- Coordinate media tours and organize press packets for High Line Art
- Coordinate with artists’ galleries on press outreach and promotion for their HLA project
- Track High Line Art media listings and press coverage and produce quarterly reports
Marketing and Social Media
- Develop and execute integrated marketing campaigns, including emails, press releases, print and web marketing collateral, social media, and advertising plans
- Manage HLA monthly E-News
- Oversee and implement content for HLA social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Manage and develop content for HLA blog, hosted on Tumblr
- Write and schedule approximately five ads per year
- Manage the HLA Communications calendar, which includes press, marketing, and social media campaigns, as well as tracking major art events in and around New York City
- Coordinate with the editorial calendar for Friends of the High Line
- Draft content and create designs for all HLA signage, including exhibition signs and temporary A-Frame signs
- Create smaller design projects, including dinner invites and updating the monthly Art Map
- Liaison with external graphic designers for special projects, including the 30-page Art Brochure and ads
- Support press efforts for other FHL initiatives as needed
- Manage content for HLA website
- Manage content development and maintenance of art-related content on Friends of the High Line’s website
- Coordinate photography and video shoots for High Line Art, maintain image archive on server, and edit digital files
- Assist with event production for High Line Art press and fundraising events
- Over 5 years of public relations/communications experience in the public or not-for-profit sector.
- Proficiency in all aspects of media relations and demonstrated skills in public art marketing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability in project management of web marketing campaigns.
- Expert proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Photoshop, HTML, and familiar with WordPress and CMS
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Contribution in a 403(b) retirement plan
- Citi Bike membership
- Discount on High Line merchandise
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via our applicant portal at: https://thehighline.workable.com/j/C5DE7C51B8