The responsibilities of the Communications and Marketing Coordinator are to execute the communications strategy and dynamic outreach efforts across our multi-disciplinary organization. Projects and daily tasks range from supporting media relations, creating promotional materials, and developing digital and social media campaigns, to website maintenance and coordinating proposals for speaking engagements.
The Coordinator reports to the Communications and Marketing Director and works with other organizational leaders and advisors to promote Van Alen’s renowned Competitions, Research, and Public Programs, as well as innovative institutional initiatives such as our Councils and Van Alen Sessions video series.
This position represents an excellent opportunity for an early career communications or marketing professional to hone writing and design skills, develop program-management and teamwork competencies, and gain exposure among leaders in the urban design field.
• Exceptional written, verbal, and visual communication skills
• Strong copywriting and editing skills
• Proficient in HTML/CSS, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress or similar design and content management tools
• Experience with database maintenance and management; familiarity with Salesforce or comparable database required
• Experience with social media management and analytics
• Competent in executing delegated tasks, communicating progress, and proactively undertaking work
• Ability to work collaboratively across departments
• Ability to prioritize and manage several projects at a time and function well under deadline pressure
• Self-motivated and professional attitude toward all levels of assigned tasks
• Minimum 3 years experience required in public relations, marketing, communications, or a related field
• Strong interest or background in urban studies, architecture, urban planning, politics, journalism, or a related field
• Contribute to the development and implementation of Van Alen’s communications strategies.
• Schedule, prepare, and distribute print and digital communications such as event invitations, monthly newsletters, mass mailings, membership appeals, and press releases.
• Manage content for the Institute’s website and social media platforms, including posting of original content, event videos, and web albums on Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, Instagram, etc.
• Develop and manage media lists
• Establish relationships with media contacts; negotiate partnerships and cross-promotions with media outlets and peer organizations; manage and build contact lists
• Maintain archive of media coverage and manage press clippings, to be shared internally and with key stakeholders
• Coordinate production of graphic materials and multimedia projects, including websites and event documentation
• Conduct outreach to individuals and organizations to build the Institute’s audience
• Oversee and coordinate documentation of public programs for social media and press outreach
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume as a pdf to email@example.com with Marketing and Communications Coordinator in the subject line. Due to the volume of receipts, only qualified applicants will be contacted. The position pays an annual salary of $39k - $45k and includes a competitive benefits package. Van Alen Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
Please visit www.vanalen.org for more information.