Applications close April 5 at 12:00am ET
Design Museum Everywhere is in a pivotal moment of growth, poised to add multiple new positions to the team. We’re hiring multiple new positions—please apply to the one that is best suited for your experience and goals. Read about the other positions at www.designmuseumfoundation.org/careers
Design Museum Everywhere is seeking a full-time Director of Development to join our dynamic team. We seek an experienced fundraiser to design, implement, and manage all aspects of Design Museum’s development strategies.
This position reports to the Executive Director, Sam Aquillano, and interacts with most staff, Board & Council members, and other external community members on a regular basis. The Director of Development will oversee one direct report, and be instrumental in hiring this Development Associate early on in their tenure.
Successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with 6+ years of experience — or relevant, equivalent experience.
Develop and Direct Fundraising Strategy
- Work closely with Executive Director to develop and maintain a full development plan including annual funds, special campaigns, fundraising events, earned income, membership, grants, sponsorships, ticket sales, and more
- Manage development efforts of Board members, supporting them in creating a culture of philanthropy
Manage Fundraising Campaigns and Events
- Ensure that Design Museum meets its fundraising and budget goals and regularly report on progress to the Board and the Executive Director
- Coordinate campaigns throughout the year, including mailings, emails, personal asks of major donors, and other practices
- Ensure that donors are promptly acknowledged, stewarded, and provided opportunities to experience the impact of their gifts
- Develop and maintain donor relationships, pitching Design Museum Everywhere to various entities including major donors, corporate sponsors, foundation program officers, and more
- Coordinate and manage fundraising events
- Manage and direct our CRM (Kindful), ensuring accurate record tracking for data entry, gift processing, and acknowledgement letters
Manage Grants, Corporate Relationships, and Sponsorships
- Ensure that Design Museum develops and maintains strong relationships with funders locally and nationally
- Supervise grant applications and tracking, including timelines for grant proposals and reports
- Support management of ongoing relationships with institutional funders
- Work with Director of Marketing, other Design Museum staff, and other Design Museum community members to coordinate the design and distribution of marketing materials for fund development
- Collaborate with Marketing Director to ensure consistent, relevant communication with supporter community
- A passion for design that is contagious
- 6+ years fundraising experience
- Demonstrated project management skills with the ability to independently manage complex, multifaceted projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent leadership and supervisory skills and experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and pitching/sales
- Strong interpersonal skills—you’ll be building and maintaining Design Museum relationships
- Ability to independently manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Experience with databases, data analysis, budgeting, and forecasting
Full-time: Monday-Friday, hours generally 9am-5pm
This position can be located anywhere in the US and report virtually. Once Covid-19 is no longer a threat, this position will require periodic travel, about 10% of the time to various fundraisers, important events, and staff retreats or gatherings.
Starting salary range: $65,000-$80,000/year
Benefits include: 401k, Paid Time Off, 14-15 paid company holidays per year, Health/Vision/and Dental Insurance, Bonus program, Parental/Paid Family Sick leave
Apply with cover letter and resume via the application portal. Cover letter should outline/detail relevant experience.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are submitted. Design Museum anticipates the hiring process to take 3-4 weeks, which includes 2 rounds of interviews and reference calls. This job posting has previously been posted, and you’re welcome to reapply if you applied or interviewed with the original posting.